The lock between Middle and Lower Eau Claire Lakes is now closed for repairs due to seepage issues.
The dam alongside the lock was originally constructed of logs to impound and propel felled logs downstream during the late 1800s. It was called Smith Dam. At the outlet from Lower Eau Claire Lake was another log dam, Chase Dam (now Mooney Dam). Both dams fell into disuse after logging ceased, and both of today’s dams (and lock) were built in 1938-9 by the federal Works Project Administration. During the summer of 2015, MIddle’s lock/dam and Mooney Dam underwent significant repairs. To read more about those repairs, click here.